Thursday, July 12, 2012

What's for Dinner?

Tonight: Lasagna! 
(original picture; I'll take a new one tonight, too)

Yes, you read that right, lasagna! This is a recipe I created and it is awesome! The way I gauge "health" food is by my VERY picky, VERY "if-it-tastes-even-slightly-healthy" won't eat it, hubby. LOL! It challenges me, in a great way, to create meals that we both will eat. 

After I made this the first time, he said that he wouldn't mind if I made lasagna like this every time! I knew it was super yummy, but when he agreed....shout for joy!

So, enjoy! Here is my original blog about this recipe (copied and pasted). It was July 27, 2010 when this was created by yours truly!

Tonight I wanted lasagna. So, I came up with this recipe. As we sat down to eat, I let my husband and sister have the first bite. Aren't I kind? They both really liked it, so I went ahead. I expected it to be good, but it was REALLY good. I hope you enjoy this, too. Cause we all need our fix of cheese and pasta sometimes, right? And at only 289 calories per serving you can't go wrong! (Makes 6 servings and saves wonderfully for left overs if needed)

Ingredients:
  • 6 lasagna noodles (now I use 100% whole wheat lasagna noodles)
  • 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
  • 1C fat free ricotta, with Italian Seasoning mixed in
  • 3 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 oz. shredded monterey jack cheese
  • 1 can Tomato Soup
  • 1/2 C water
  • Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Onion Powder
  • Olive Oil Cooking Spray
Directions:
  1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Let dry.
  2. Spray a pan with cooking spray. Cook chicken. Season with Salt, Pepper, and Italian Seasoning
  3. Chop cooked chicken (I used my food processor to make ground chicken).
  4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  5. Mix soup, water, and seasonings (to taste) in a saucepan over medium heat.
  6. Spoon some sauce on the bottom of a 7x9 casserole dish.
  7. Put down 3 noodles, overlapping as needed.
  8. Put half of remaining sauce over noodles. Then layer on half of the Parmesan cheese, monterey jack cheese, ricotta cheese, and chicken.
  9. Repeat steps 7 & 8
  10. Bake for 20 minutes. Cut into 6 servings. Then enjoy!
Nutrition per serving: (I used an online recipe analysis tool to figure this out, but don't remember which one. There are plenty. Just google it! :) )
  • Calories - 289
  • Protein - 28g
  • Fiber - 1.4g
  • Fat - 4.8g
    • Sat. Fat - 2.6g

2 comments:

  1. Great job Spunky! :) That is a plus when he will eat it and have you make it again! :)

    LOVE YOU! :) Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete