Friday, June 29, 2012

What about Fruit?

Ok. So, consuming 15 grams of sugar or less each day has not been too difficult for me. I thought it would be, but I'm at the end of my second week and haven't found it hard at all. I just substitute other foods with lower or no sugar (trying to avoid sweeteners, too).

But, what about fruit? Isn't it supposed to be good for you? Isn't it part of a "balanced diet"? Well, I've found it depends who you ask. Yes, fruits have fiber and vitamins. They also have sugar. It is fructose; but the body responds to it the same way as sugar.

So what is the answer? Do what works for you and what you are comfortable with. For me, I'm kicking a major sugar addiction and warding off a family history of diabetes. I'm ok with limiting my fruit consumption while I gain control of my life. In fact, I've learned that 1 cup of broccoli has more vitamin C in it than a whole orange! Wow!














For those times when I want fruit, here are the fruits that have less than 5 grams of sugar per serving. This list isn't comprehensive, but it certainly is a good place to start.

1 med. apricot = 3 grams
1/4 C. avocado = 0 grams
1/2 C. blackberries = 4 grams
1/4 C. blueberries = 4 grams
Lemon/Lime wedge = 0 grams
1/2 Nectarine (sliced) = 5 grams
Olives = 0 grams
1/2 C. raspberries = 3 grams
1/2 C. strawberries = 4 grams

These are yummy and super nutritious! Enjoy them!

 One website I have found that I really like is http://nutritiondata.self.com/

This is my go-to site for nutrition data on food. I always go here first. Like I said before, enjoy your food!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for talking with me this morning about fruit. I really needed it. :) I'm so glad you're in this with me. :) Love you Spunky

    ReplyDelete